Wednesday 9 October 2013

Hey Presto on the GO Train

There are advantages to moving house each week.  You get to see the City from a different perspective each time.  Last week I was being trendy and urban, getting the trolley car East to West.  Three dollars dropped into the slot taking travellers as far as you care to go.

This week I travelled West to East along the Lakeshore riding the GO Train.  A two story green monster of a train that looks like it would plough through snow with ease.  Arriving in Union Station and taking the PATH to the office - around 29 kilometers of shopping malls and corriders below the ground.  It's like mole city down there, well if moles drank coffee, ate bagels and snacked at Mr Greek.




Hightlights this week are simple pleasures -
  • Buying my Presto train pass (like Oyster) and clicking in and out at stations;
  • Actually taking a lunch break and spending 40 minutes walking through the PATH exploring - felt like Logans Run down there, but without the age limit;
  • Listening to Stewie go native ...It's a couch, no longer a sofa; "mom, those buns smell so good"; "put that in the bin please Stewie - no dad, its called the trash.  We need to talk American now"
The reality of being new girl is that you have to tell your story again and again and again; conference calls all starting with a 10 minute enquiry and update on my time in Canada so far.  Office conversations by the kettle like... "Where are you going to be living?  Bolton? Why?  Do you know where that is?"  I am starting to think that commuting is not big over here. 

The joy of my communte will be 90 minutes of peace, reading and writing - working through The Artists Way and scribbling my morning pages.  I have read just 2 books in the last 6 years (Stewie will be 6 next month!) and so I am looking forward to the luxury of book and pen...Assuming I get a seat of course.  Or maybe I will be quirky crochet woman...the options are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment