Monday 28 October 2013

Global Mobility - With Back Ache?

I woke up early last Monday, my back aching as if the baby was coming very soon.  Strange as I am not pregnant, but given the pain, and the closeness to December, I suppose miracles could happen.  Whilst the pain was dreadful, the prospect of getting medical help was worse.  Coming from the land of the NHS - universal healthcare, free at the point of need, I found myself weighing up the pro's and con's of claiming on my private medical insurance or just handing over a bag of Looneys at a walk-in clinic. 

I decided on a walk-in clinic, which is an ironic terms as walking is not wide spread in Canada, folks favoring the car for every excursion.  So I hobbled, in pain, into the clinic to be told that it was $60 cash to see a doctor.  "Do you mean cash cash?" I asked the man, me being used to that term meaning the use of a debit card.  Sadly he replied "yes, cash cash, there is a Bank of Montreal accross the street".  Now "accross the street" is quite a way away in a car led society, and I had no car.  I hobbled there and back, took about half an hour, and the pain was awful. 

As I waited to see the doctor the receptionist declared to another patient that they lived in the same street as me.  Who needs data privacy eh?  I got to see the Dr very fast.  He asked me to bend and touch my toes.  I couldn't, but I assured him that that was normal.  Those toes have been far away from my fingers for years.  Diagnosis - I had experienced a back spasm and the solution was muscle relaxants, anti-inflamitories - and here's the kicker...exercise.  "The worst thing that you can do is sit or lie around".  Seriously?  Hmmmm.

So, one week later, I am feeling a lot better.  Exercise does seem to help and sitting still hinders.  Many conference calls this last week have had me doing yoga whilst participating - another virtue of remote working - no one can see you stretch!  A calm weekend at Blue Mountain (which is actual a hill) saw me hobbling from Starbucks to the "paint your crockery" studio whilst Major and Minor went swimming at the Aquatics Plunge Park.  Of course I was too poorly to go there with them...I was, honest!



4 comments:

  1. I recommend standing in the shower and having hot water pummel your back. Don't lie in the bath it relaxes the muscles in your back too much

    ReplyDelete
  2. We take the NHS for granted and complain so much. I hope you are feeling better soon - I love the Pioneer sign in the tree BTW ;)

    ReplyDelete