Sunday 17 July 2016

Being yourself - how hard can that be right?

The world in the last month has been a terrifying and inspiring place to live.  Acts of horror, acts of stupidity, acts of ignorance and intolerance and through all of that the bright lights of humanity.  I'm focussed on those...the people who talk about love, understanding and finding solutions. I'm less interested in the people calling for bigger walls, more visas and musing about the good old days that frankly were pretty sucky from what my gran taught me.

I'm very lucky in that my work surrounds me with great thinkers and some of the greatest humanitarians I have ever met.  They don't just roll their eyes at intolerance, they take actions that calls it for what it is and offer solutions.  We have talked a lot this week at work about bias and unconcious bias and it's so great because I have heard tens of people tell others about why this is an issue and how they can address it.  It's the "using it" stage of a project we a have been working on for over 2 years.  My part was tiny, so not seeking credit here...but it made me realize where I really get my buzz at work and at home....its when something is used, liked, loved, lived.  For me it's not about building new stuff or buying new stuff it's about people using that stuff, and then ( the best bit ) telling others about the stuff. It's about seeing the stuff used in a way that changes behaviour for good.

This week saw my husband turn 50, and I'll follow him there in the next 2 years....for a while now I have been focussed on what I want to be doing when I am 50, and equally what I don't want to be doing.  As an introvert smart arse my head is like a toddler crashing around a department store, so department 50 pops up randomly in thoughts alongside fitness, immigration, taxation, female health, child development, social media, agriculture, coffee, world events, Britishness, Scottishness, holidays, housework ( that's actually a lie, there is no housework department in my store - I'm following that principle of greasy hair...leave it long enough and it self cleans ) weight control, community, the world of the 8 year old and the ever popular " when's dinner?" department.

So how does this all tie together, as blogs law says it must?

Well I have identified where my energy comes from at this stage in my life and I have identified what drives me to distraction / takes up time that can just be better spent.  I believe that time is my greatest gift to me and others...whether that's as a part time worker, what is the best I can give my company in the time I'm there?. In the community, at the farm, all they ask is for my time and they are so grateful for it.  The people that I am newly mentoring at work really just want my time, they have the answers they just need to talk them through.  My son needs time with me, even though we are struggling to find something that we both do together...I suspect I need to be more flexible there. My husband is zen in most things..our time together includes date night to seek Star Trek this month! We live the high life!  So having worked all of that out...what's the next step?

Great question, that's the being true to myself part from the post title.  Working on that. All ideas gratefully received.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment