Wednesday 8 June 2016

Thank you Elizabeth

I'm just back from a fabulous week in the woods in New Hampshire. Four sleeps interspersed with art classes, fresh air, way too much food and wonderful people. This was my first visit to Spring Squam as for the last two years I have gone along to the Autumn retreat. ( I'm still not Canadian enough to say Fall - feels phoney when I say it).

What is Squam? Where to begin?  To me it's a virtual community of people, many of whom I will never meet, who are amazing, brave, smart, creative, sooo creative.  Knitters, painters, writers, photogs, weavers, stitchers, poets, printers....anything and everything creative.

Thanks in unmeasurable amounts to the wonderful Elizabeth, some of this sparkling community meet at art retreats through the year, a few based on Squam lake, NH.  That's where I go.  She had a vision or a need to gather a tribe, so she did. I admire her immensely, more than I can articulate. Last fall on the opening ceremony she shared some of her life journey, some of the earlier struggles with darkness.  I had that journey too.  I walked that path. I understand how far it is from there to here, and what effort it takes to move into the sunlight and out of the purple.  

I probably exchanged ten words with Elizabeth over the weekend, as I don't do a lot of deep talking at Squam, and I'm introverted and British. At Squam I like to listen and feel. There is some thinking but I try not to gorge on that.  Feelings are difficult for me as they are unfamiliar, unused and some are blocked.  Strangely maybe, i judge how relaxed and present I am at Squam by how long it takes me to  cry once I am there.  If you've walked the path you'll understand that.  If you haven't, let it go.  

So I never say outloud to Elizabeth how much I appreciate her making Squam for us. Thank you Elizabeth.  Thank you.

Oh and if that makes it sound sad or too woo woo...it isn't. It's the best fun ever. Lots and lots of laughing and meeting new and old friends.  Best of times!


3 comments:

  1. Dear Fiona, I love love love your writing. So real and heartfelt. So you. Did not spend as much time with you at Squam this time, but was glad for the little time we had together. You always seem so sure of yourself and your voice, that inspires me. Keep writing.... it's a gift you have. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you again. Thanks for the kind words ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  3. This. Oh, this! I so enjoyed meeting you at last autumn's retreat and look forward to seeing you again. These words beautifully articulate the feeling of sitting by the lake and relaxing into our whole selves. :-)

    ReplyDelete