Saturday 14 June 2014

It's so quiet!

Every night for the last two weeks the street has been filed with kids playing, going in and out of others houses. We have become part of that with Small person now having 5 BFFs in our road. But tonight all is silent. The streets are empty, apart from the Canadian guy 3 doors up who fixes his car at weekends, drinks beer and some week shouts "the f word".  Italy are playing football and the folks here take that very seriously.  I was going to watch the match, as they are playing England, but I was out voted by a small person who wanted to watch Alice in Wonderland ( again) and a large person who wants an easier life.  So I breeched the curfew and cut the front lawn...alone, just me and the Kanuk fixing his car.

Earlier today small person went to a party...a pool party.  Should I leave him or should I stay? He put his trunks on, jumped in the deep end which is 10 foot deep, and had to be dragged to the edge by the birthday boy.  I stayed.  "Harking but nah heeding" is the order of the day with him at the moment. I chatted with Mums as he splashed and sploshed for 3 hours. We talked about school stuff, as 3 of them are teachers.  I learnt that I should be doing 30 minutes, reading, riting and rythmatic with him every night, in addition to homework.  I had no idea.  I learnt that spelling and grammar have been removed from the curriculum.  When I told my husband that he used the f word.  We have found the cost of moving to Canada...education.

I have bought the Child Whisperer on kindle - maybe whispering rather than shouting will get the small person to pay more attention...we shall see. I have read the first three pages but then I fell asleep for 2 hours.  Introvert talking with strangers at pool party equals exhaustion.  Another party tomorrow...this one is at Chuck e Cheese, which I have only heard about in movies. A friend tells me is is nasty pizza, watery wine and flat beer, but kids love it.  My husbands Fathers Day treat is that he gets to stay home alone whilst we go to the party. What price respite?

Happy Fathers Day to my dad, home alone with the cats.  Love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment