Monday 24 March 2014

A day in the life

I had a bright idea last week...blog about my day from start to end. A bit naff maybe and likely very dull. I registered the thought in my head and got on with things. Who knew that that Wednesday would turn out to be the worst and best day in ages...

5.45 - alarm goes off and reluctantly I get up. It's too early for himself to get up and make tea so I guess I'd better do it,

6.00 - drink tea in bed, trying not to fall asleep

6.15 - sign in to work

6.30 - erudite and witty on a planning call with colleagues in the Far East.  Although they'll probably say I was rambling and incoherent, lacking caffeine.  Anyway, world peace achieved in 30 minutes then on to another call about goal setting.

7.45 - goal setting call completed; more world peace and quite a lot of admin.

8.00 - prize small boy away from Pokemon to eat breakfast. Cereal is no longer en vogue chez moi so I make a layered yoghurt, Cheerios, yoghurt, muesli ensemble in a glass.  Small boy thinks it is exotic and eats it, getting some on the floor and the chair and down his "pants".

8.10. - persuade small boy to get changed, brush teeth...loud persuasion

8.15 - small boy puts on snow pants, coat, balaclava, boots, gloves and we schlep up the road for the school bus

8.40 - home. Coffee, emails, phone calls.  Repeat for 6 hours, changing coffee to tea after hour 2.  Time spent thinking about going to the bathroom exceeds time spent going to the bathroom by a ratio of 30:1.

2.40 - last call of the day coming to a close. Husband arrives home, third day at new job, home 3 hours early. Try to end call to find out what has happened.

2.45 - husband green and sweating.

2.46 - husband violently sick whilst I  IM friends for hospital info

2.47  - husband asks me to call ambulance

3.00 - ambulance arrives. Talk to ambulance crew, tell them that I need to collect small person from bus

3.30. - run back with small person, ambulance crew waiting to tell me where they are taking him. They leave. I cry. Small person suggests that we buy flowers because he saw that on TV and it makes people happy in hospital. Cry a bit more. Small person reassuring me that daddy will be fine and that he must have eaten too much cake and gotten a bad belly.

3.40 - drop small person off at a friends house, blubb about husband in hospital and drive off.

3.45 - remember that I haven't eaten for 8 hours ( typical work day) so stop at Tim Hortons for tea and a biscuit ( I say it's a scone but hey!) and program sat nav.



4.30 - get to hospital and find husband on a trolley, in pain, having his ear bent by the ambulance crew discussing football and will England qualify for the World Cup.

5.30 - Dr checks him out, on the trolley....X-rays , into a side room, drink radioactive Gatorade, back in 1 hour for cat scan. Hooked up to morphine, slowly sounding sloshed.

6.30 - still waiting for cat scan. Crash team rush next door, alarms blasting out. Man dragged in there, half in a wheelchair, unconscious.  Nurse falls over dragging him in. I guess the cat scan can wait whilst they try to save the guy next door.

7.15 - calm returns. I don't think he made it judging by the people crying in the corridor.

7.20 - off to cat scan. I text the friends looking after small person, to say it's all still going on

7.40 - dr tells us that it is likely appendix but we are waiting on the scan. Surgeon comes in and prods him a lot.  " does this hurt?" No, he's had a pint of morphine! Nothing hurts now.

8.30 - surgeon comes back. It's a kidney stone. 30 more minutes of morphine and he can go home.

9.30 - discharged. I drive home. It's foggy, I have night blindness. The morphine may have dulled the pain but not enough to stop the back seat driver giving me driving advice.

10.10 - in the drug store waiting for a prescription for pain killers

10.30 - in PizzaPizza waiting for chicken wings

11.00 - home, watching the Big Bang Theory, eating junk food. No wine in the house!

Midnight - sleep

6.00am - back talking to China

7.30am - dressed and driving to friends house to see small person.

And so it goes on.  Thankful to my great friends for looking after small person; thankful to the medical staff for being so awesome; thankful to the universe that husband is okay now and in the words of Airplane " looks like I picked the wrong day to quit drinking"





No comments:

Post a Comment