Sunday 25 May 2014

Sat On The Front Porch

As predicted I have moved quickly from grumbling about 4 months of snow to winging about the heat. Today it's in the high 20s with no shade so feeling a lot warmer. Tomorrow the weather channel predicts 34 degrees, which I am guessing is high for May, but as it's our first spring here I am not sure.   The back garden is now in full sun so I have escaped onto the front door step for shade.  If this was the UK neighbours would be twitching curtains and questioning my sanity.  In Canada people seem to live in the street.  Four doors up they are playing street hockey, further on basketball.  The woman across the street is greeting all neighbours with discussions about their front garden. Much talk of ice storms, maple damage and dandelions.  Someone told me the other day that " in Canada a home is not your castle" but I suspect that your front yard is your kingdom.

In a moment of madness and defeat yesterday I took small person to the animal rescue centre. They wouldn't let me leave him there so we adopted two kittens instead.  The speed of the decision is the madness I refer to. The defeat is that small persons reward chart is now passe and we were never going to get to our kitten goal.  So do we wait until he starts to listen, tidy up, eat lunch at school, go to bed and stay in bed? Or de we reverse the psychology and get him the promised kittens with the new insentive being "behave or they go back".  We probably should have waited for behavioural nirvana; and we have probably created a rod for our own back but it felt like the right thing to do.




I have never seen him so happy.  The kittens are super cute and they play fight like ninjas which he finds hysterical.  He seems to be trying to train them like dogs, and believes that he has to watch them all day to "take care of them". Thankfully we convinced him to watch a cartoon and the kittens took the opportunity to climb into the blanket basket and have a sleep.   He hasn't asked for the iPad once since they arrived.  He was just playing sticky ninja on the laptop, but after 15 minutes he said he was "fed up" and returned to kitten training. I suspect that they will love the peace tomorrow, when he is at a school. I'm planning a quiet Monday too.  The US are on holiday, so hopefully all emergencies will be on hold until Tuesday. I have planned to do that file tidy and archive that will make life easier.  Happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment